Friday, May 29, 2009

Gifts from a Train

May 29, 2009

This will probably be my last posting for this month. Wow! It went by fast!! So, today I was riding the train home from my parents' house in Castle Rock. A man came and sat next to me even though there were other spots open. He didn't say anything at first, but after a while, he commented that he wants to get a Sudoku puzzle book like the one I had. He said the kids on the train drive him crazy. Funny, I was just thinking about those kids myself. I was reminiscing about the days I was in my twenties and flirted with other kids my age out on the streets of Denver. It was not that long ago, but it feels like forever. I was thinking how much older I feel now and how I couldn't really picture myself doing that today.

This guy obviously needed to talk. I was reluctant at first because I didn't know what his intentions were, but it turns out he's just here from Juarez, Mexico. He moved back here to be around for his 6-month old daughter. He and the mom are not together anymore. His only family in Mexico was his dad and uncle and they passed away, so he's all alone. He said he doesn't want any friends right now because the other guys at the restaurant where he works drink too much and he doesn't want to get into that.

He works as a cook at a fancy restaurant in Littleton. Then, he travels for hours to and from work and his home in Aurora. He sees his daughter, he goes to bed, he gets up and goes to work and repeats the process over and over again. That is his life. He is totally dedicated 100% to his little girl. He said she has to know how much he loves her.

He even told me about how he thinks the mom purposely got pregnant even though he told her they should wait until they were more financially secure. Why do people do that?!?

Well, Tony, my new friend, I wish you luck in your life. On behalf of little girls everywhere, thanks for being a stand-up guy for your kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment