Friday, July 3, 2009

Habitat for Humanity Build

Last Wednesday (June 24), I went out to Lakewood where Habitat for Humanity is building a home for a family and helped them paint the outside of the house.

I was a little surprised to find that I was the only woman there. Apparently, they have builds that are just for women, but this one was all dudes...and me.

There was something really nice about doing some good hard manual labor for somebody else who needed it. It was nice to get to know the guys in a casual way. Nobody tried to hit on me.

When we got done, we had something to show for it-a newly painted home for a family that needs it. They're an immigrant family from Russia.

The one thing that I'd like to see different is to be able to do a job that I haven't done before. Painting is one of the few construction type jobs that I've already had experience with. It was good for a first-time deal, but I want to learn how to hang dry-wall and stuff like that.

Perhaps I will try the women's build and see how that compares.

Still, what an amazing organization-helping to get rid of homelessness by building people homes. It was started by a very young and wealthy couple who just felt like they needed to do something more with all their money. Imagine if more of us felt that way. But, I guess the people I know would not be in the "have tons of money" category.

I think, though, that we are wealthier than we give ourselves credit for. Maybe not in greenbacks, but certainly in compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment